1st and 3rd Wednesday (February to November)
Arrive at 9.15am to start at 9.30am. Finish at 12.30pm
Studio 2, Gosford Regional Gallery and Art Centre Arts Centre.
Cost $25.00 per week includes morning tea. EFTPOS available.
Visitors are welcome.
Please note there is no booking requirement for our workshops, you simply turn up on the day.
Download the 2019 Calendar to view the year’s Workshops.
Wednesday 5 June and Wednesday 19 June
Acrylics with Cathryn McEwen
ACRYLICS WORKSHOP #1 (5 JUNE 9:30 – 12:30)
An introduction to painting with Acrylics.
Students will have an opportunity to explore a range of mediums (supplied) and techniques.
Four (4) examples demonstrated.
- PAINT – Artist quality name brand (sets often do not contain these colours, but could be good to add to)
Warm Colours: Cadmium Red, Ultramarine Blue, Yellow Ochre or Cadmium Yellow
Cool Colours: Pthalo Blue or Prussian Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Lemon Yellow
Optional: Burnt Sienna or Burnt Umber or Raw Umber
- Gloss MEDIUM – any brand
- One (1) Stretched square or rectangular canvas or canvas board (at least 30 cm on one side) – primed (with at least 2 coats of Gesso – better quality canvases are primed at least 3 times)
- Medium size – (eg. 30 x 30) square or rectangular which will be divided into 4 sections with tape
- Roll thin masking tape
- BRUSHES – short, nylon (synthetic), not too soft
- Range of widths – FLAT (3/4, ½) – allows for wide strokes and lines
- Large brushes if working big
- Palette knife and/or old credit card
- Optional: Filbert, Round, large paint brush for backgrounds / large areas
- Palette – large white plate or white plastic plate, Perspex or glass (taped edge) or tear off pad (waxed sheets)
- Water jar for cleaning brushes,
- Rag or paper towel,
- Water spray
- Cover to protect table
- Personal image good quality reference A4 – Simple subject matter. (Teacher will utilise student reference to demonstrate possible approaches)
- Hair dryer
ACRYLICS WORKSHOP #2 (19 JUNE 19 9:30 – 12:30)
Personal projects utilising an approach learned in Workshop 1.
Composition and colour mixing will be included.
All of the above plus your CHOICE of Medium/Technique following demonstration 5 June .
- SURFACE *One (1) Stretched square or rectangular canvas or canvas board primed (with at least 2 coats of Gesso – better quality canvases are primed at least 3 times)
[*Students could use this opportunity to get a start on entries for this year’s 20 x 20 exhibition – canvases available at $6.50 each in Gallery giftshop. Details at trybooking.com/BCOCW]
- Personal image good quality reference A4 – Simple subject matter on a theme of choice (handy for inspiration even if student is doing an Abstract approach.
- Paper & pencil/charcoal for sketches/planning composition.